Growth Mindset: What is Creativity?

I was trying to figure out this week what keeps me from actually doing story assignments, and I realized that unlike the vast majority of my homework, purely creative assignments are much more difficult. Facing a blank word document, my mind shrivels up and retreats to a location I can't access it easily. I have a lot more success scribbling on real paper, where I can put little arrows without worrying about perfect formatting.

As I've had this song kind of stuck in my head since this semester started (hello graduation, I've looked forward to meeting you for years), I decided to make a graph to see exactly what Fort Minor is scientifically expressing in the popular single "Remember the Name." I've adapted their metrics for a creative model, just to see whether this could correspond with my difficulties in writing stories. This chart was made using Create-a-Graph, and at this point in time I agree with the difficulty (pain) setting. I agonize over making each word perfect and get very little progress using this model. I have no problems with diagramming and scribbling out all sort of stuff if it's actually ON PAPER, it's only when I'm at the computer that I have this burnout. So, I'm going to try creating the last few stories for the project and the blog on paper only, then transferring that into the electronic format.
 
"This is ten percent luck
Twenty percent skill
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
Five percent pleasure
Fifty percent pain
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name..."

Comments