Reading Notes, Week 13: Beowulf


I chose Beowulf because I wanted a good monster story this week, and Rigg's Beowulf did not disappoint. I got sidetracked early on looking up all sorts of Viking sea monsters described on their voyage to Daneland, including sea serpents, sealions (with fur, apparently), and even birdy fish with claws. Part of me to this day is absolutely terrified by what could lurk beneath the ocean, and I am really curious as to just how old these stories of sea monsters are. What if the kraken and other legends were actually dinosaurs? I can't think of anything else that could even approach the size factor of the monsters described by many sailors over time.

I loved the descriptions of the feast given by Hrothgar to Beowulf and his thanes - especially concerning the sullen Unferth (my favorite character in the animated 2007 film). Unferth has a lot of authority in Hrothgar's court, yet he never once chose to go after Grendel... There's gotta be some reasons for that, and I think Unferth may know much, much more than he lets on to Beowulf regarding the situation their people are dealing with. I'm quite eager to read (hopefully) an authentic version of exactly what happened, as I'm sure the memories I have regarding this epic story are rather sensationalized (as film is wont to do).

Ideas: Do monsters fear people as people fear them? Have people grown to encroach on established monster territory? Could Grendel be justified in her treatment of Hrothgar and his stead? I love stories giving villains some morals, and I can't wait to see how Grendel and her offspring are handled. Hrothgar seems paralyzed in this story, and I can't help but think that after enough attacks, his clan would have moved on or dealt with the problem already.

Now I need to watch not only Beowulf, but Eaters of the Dead (also titled the 13th Man, I think). This is a story two of my favorite authors of all time have chosen to rewrite (Gaiman and Crichton), and I need a little more Viking action in my life right now.

Story source: The Story of Beowulf by Strafford Riggs
Image source: Pinterest



Comments