Story Lab, Week 15: Language, Grammar and Punctuation

The technical nomenclature of tenses is something I've never honestly learned words for, beyond past, present and future. These are concepts we use every day without even realizing (some of us, at least), which is kind of impressive. I doubt I'll make mastering each of these a high priority anytime soon, but should I choose to indulge my occasional sci-fi story idea urges, learning proper grammatical terminology for these concepts would not be a bad thing. It's easier to analyze something when you have the vocabulary to describe it, even if the concepts themselves are familiar.

Conlangs! What a cool word, and one I've never encountered before. I know a lot of people laugh at the idea of learning how to speak in Klingon, or Elvish, but realistically these are more alive today in terms of spoken frequency than a plethora of "real" languages, like the speech of Navajo code talkers or Sumerian, which will probably never be accurately depicted. I grew up with Star Trek, and while I never bothered taking the time to learn anything more than a few choice words (such as "Qapla'!"), learning that someone had actually created a functional Klingon language impressed me to no end.


Lieutenant Worf wishes you success in the final days of this semester.

Finally, the proper use of the semicolon: this was the most educational of all the videos in this storylab assignment. Such a relief to learn how and where and when to use! This was a great storylab, and I loved all of the history too. 

Comments